GPD: Gunman in Apartment Shooting Arrested, Writes About Crime on Facebook
Published December 12th, 2013
GAINESVILLE -- Police have arrested the High Springs man they say was behind Tuesday night's shooting that injured a man at an east Gainesville apartment complex.
Gainesville Police say Buddy J. Fleming, 19, turned himself in on Wednesday, just 24 hours after he shot a man in the leg at the Forest Green apartment complex on Northeast 15th Street.
While Fleming denies any involvement in the shooting, detectives say they have multiple witnesses who place Fleming at the scene.
Detectives also say Fleming posted a status on Facebook, claiming that he planned to shoot the victim sometime between 5 and 6 p.m. Tuesday night, the same time the shooting took place.
Fleming is now in the Alachua County Jail and is charged with attempted murder. Police say gang activity may have been the motive.
Police also arrested Trevis Avante Strawder, 19, after witnesses also placed him at the scene of the shooting. Strawder was inmate at the work release center off Northeast 39th Avenue -- not far from the Forest Green Apartments.
Police say Strawder managed to sneak out of the complex before the shooting took place on Tuesday. He is now in jail on an escape charge.
Detectives say they believe one other man was also with Fleming and Strawder when the shooting took place, however he has not been located. Police believe he is still in Gainesville, but does not pose an immediate harm.
Just last month, a pregnant woman was shot and killed by her boyfriend at the same apartment complex. Residents told TV20 gang activity is common in that area.
- GPD: Shooting at Spanish Trace Apartments
- GPD: 4 minors, 3 adults arrested in gang-related shooting
- GPD: Crime Rate Lower Compared to Same Time Last Year
- GPD: Man injured in drive-by shooting
- GPD: Couple arrested for hitting, stabbing man on New Year's Eve
- GPD: Pizza manager arrested for canceling orders, taking cash
- GPD Joines Forces to End Crime in Pineridge Apartments
- Man is Arrested, Accused of Committing Sex Crimes for 11 Years
- GPD Report Raises Questions About Hernandez Involvement in 2007 Shooting
- One Person Arrested in Shooting at an Ocala Apartment Complex