Marion County Man Donates 125 Gallons of Blood
OCALA- A Marion County man reached a rare milestone this week. On Tuesday 74-four-year- old Charlie Hamilton donated his 125th gallon of blood. He started giving blood in the 1960's
""It was something i started doing and it was something I felt like I needed to do,” said Hamilton.
He’s been donating ever since. Every two weeks Hamilton comes to the one blood office in Ocala, which is the Florida blood bank where Hamilton donates.
"Well I get screened down and go back and get hooked up,” said Hamilton.
Then Hamilton takes a nap while donating.
"For a person to reach 125 gallons of in a lifetime in something that is rarely heard,” said Pat Michaels who is the Director of Public Relations at OneBlood.
During Hamilton’s donation one blood uses a special automated machine to target only the platelet portion of his blood. The red blood cells and plasma are returned to Hamilton.
Michaels with one blood said Hamilton primarily donates platelets for cancer patients.
"Every time he has donated it could go to multiple patients. So it's easy to say that it's thousands of his lifetime of donating,” said Michaels.
The platelets he gives are transferred into a cancer patient within five days. Hamilton’s daughter Susan Chambers says it's amazing to see how her father is impacting thousands of lives.
"It’s not just him doing it; it's what people are benefiting from him doing this,” said Chambers.
"I just feel like it's my duty to do these things. I have been blessed with good health. Not many people do it, so somebody got to do it. I just try to fill in for the ones who won't do it,” said Hamilton.
He said he will continue to donate as long as his body allows him to.
"I think I got about 50 more gallons left in me,” said Hamilton.
- Blood Donations Down In Marion County
- Century Tower Reaches a Ringing Milestone
- Operation PetSnip Reaches Milestone Sterilizations
- Charlie Ely's Murder Trial will Stay in Marion County
- Ocala Fire Rescue: 125 Years of History
- Blood Banks Need Donations
- Local Lifesouth Blood Centers Hoping For Increase In Donations
- Man Donates Land to County for New Park
- Fatal Crash in Hamilton County Leaves Two Dead
- Missing Marion County Man Found in Orange County