Modern Education: Where Does Creativity Fit with the New Common Core Standards?
GAINESVILLE - The classroom has become a balancing act for teachers in North Central Florida as they play the role of teacher and student.
We're talking about the new Common Core standards that educators are learning while simultaneously trying to teach to the FCAT.
With the new standards set to debut as early as next school year, there could be some big changes to the way your kids learn.
Teachers are currently using many social media outlets to help teach - such as YouTube - but can this creativity stay with the new standards?
Not only can creativity stay, teachers say the new standards are more streamlined than the old and there is actually more room to be creative.
That's because right now the FCAT has a specific pacing guide and curriculum, essentially telling teachers what to teach and when.
And teachers think that while using the broader outline of benchmarks instead of the current pacing guide allows room for more creativity, they say what the students get out of that teaching will be different.
Margot Barres, 7th grade teacher: "it's no longer A,B, C, or D. They can no longer memorize, they will have to analyze the material and apply it."
For example, the benchmarks bring more reading into every subject.
In math, not only must students solve the problem, they must explain why.
Opponents say there hasn't been enough time to see if they will work...and many don't like the federal government interfering where they think state's authority should be.
Those standards apply to language arts and math in grades K-12.
Both traditional public schools and charter schools must adopt the new Common Core standards that the state hopes to have fully functional in the 2014-2015 school year.
The state has not yet decided what test students will take to assess the new Common Core standards.
- More Proposed Changes to the Common Core Standards
- Where Does Your Christmas Tree Come From?
- 4/8/13 Fitzness Minute: The Morning Mile
- Sleep-Texting... Common Among New Generation
- 9/17/12 Fitzness Minute: New Yellow Wiggle Shows us Hula Hoop
- 12/31/12 Fitzness: Apps to Help you Meet New Year's Goals
- Celebrating Education: Morning Announcements Gone High Tech
- Celebrating Education: Newberry High School's Environmental Girls Make Global Impact
- Modern Slavery
- Mid-Century Modern Home Tour