Bradford County Corrections Deputy Arrested For Sexual Battery Against A Minor
BRADFORD COUNTY - A Bradford County correctional deputy has been arrested for sexual battery against a minor and there may be more than one victim.
The correctional deputy is facing charges of capital sexual battery because the victim involved is under the age of twelve, making this a capital felony which can be punishable by death. A spokesperson here at the sheriff’s office tells me there's information coming forward points to multiple victims being involved.
Bradford County correctional deputy, Robert Melton-- resigned from his position only after being interviewed on allegations that he committed the crime of capital sexual battery on a minor. The 59 year old turned in a handwritten resignation Friday after the sheriff’s office arrested him.
Bradford County Sheriff Gordon Smith says it was the Florida Department of Law Enforcement who contacted them about the case. "I've known this individual for twenty years or more. Have known his family, an outstanding family, his mother and father which I've known for quite some time," Gordon Smith said.
Spokesperson, Brad Smith says there are other possible victims that are being interviewed.
"But this investigation is a long wait from being over; it's not a multitude of victims out there just randomly in the public. All these victims apparently seem to be known to him in a very small circle," Gordon Smith said.
The suspect was booked into the Bradford County jail, but was transferred to an undisclosed correctional facility for security purposes.
"This type of case is a very disturbing case, no matter what. This instance where he was an employee here at the Bradford county sheriff’s office, it's difficult for the people that work with him. One, to realize that this was going on and two the process of what is happening and deal with it and move forward," Brad Smith said.
Melton appeared before a judge for the first time on Saturday, his bond was set at $85,000.
"The concern is that this organization will be judged by one individual and we have the finest professionals working here and we hope that the public won't judge us based on one bad apple,” Brad Smith added.
The Bradford County Sheriff’s office is limiting the information released until the investigation is complete. In the meantime the sheriff’s office will continue to work with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, in this ongoing case.
- Grant to battle against sexual violence given to law enforcement
- Bradford County Corrections Officer Arrested for Attempted Murder
- Deputy Robert Lundy Awarded Florida Sheriff's AssociatIon Law Enforcement Officer of the Year
- Levy County Sheriff's Office Lieutenant Arrested for Armed Sexual Battery
- Third suspect arrested in sexual battery case in Marion County
- Two Charged with Sexual Battery Against 13-Year-Old
- Law enforcement agencies sharpen skills with video simulator
- Gainesville Man Charged With Sexual Battery of 14 Year Old Girl
- Coach Arrested For Sexual Assault On A Minor
- Man Arrested For Sexual Battery of a Mentally Disabled Teen