Children's Book about Sexual Abuse to be Used in Schools
Sexual abuse can be a hard topic to bring up among children.
The American Psychological Association says most children who are abused are victimized by someone they know and trust.
But a Gainesville author has written a book that helps parents teach their children what kind of touching is and isn't allowed.
The book is now being used in some North Central Florida schools.
Don't You Dare Touch Me There.
Six words that Kandra Albury uses to spread her message, a message to children to speak up about sexual abuse.
The Alachua County Public Library headquarters branch downtown invited Albury to read her popular children's book from 6:30-7:30 p.m. Tuesday evening.
The book, Don't You Dare Touch Me There, talks about situations that involves good touching and bad touching for children.
The Alachua County Headstart program has bought 35 of Albury's books for their preschool students and every kindergarten class in the Putnam County School System has a copy in their classrooms.
"I feel the sooner we can sow seeds of hope and courage and empowerment in our children, the less time and resources we have to spend on fixing adults," said author Kandra Albury.
The book has a diverse set of characters that have unique personalities children can identify with,giving the message more of an impact.
Alachua County Headstart will be holding a staff development training on Friday to help their staff better teach Albury's book.
You can also buy this book on Amazon.com or at your local Barnes and Noble or Books-A-Million.
- Local author holds Kids n' Capes event
- Breathalyzers, Most Cop Cars Don't Carry Them
- Don't Let The Bed Bugs Bite
- Prosecutors Don't Want Trial To Be About Martin
- Man Shoots Cat During Children's Sleepover
- Florida Baptist Children's Homes opens new facility
- What About the Children? Homeless Children in Alachua County
- UF Study Finds Designated Drivers Don't Always Spend the Night Sober
- Don't Get Ripped Off on Championship Apparel
- Don't Let the Bed Bugs Keep Biting!