Grandmother Speaks Out About Baby's Death
OCALA- The grandmother of a two- year- old boy who died last week says her grandson died of child abuse. On January 8th, deputies arrested 25- year old Bryan Blalock on a charge of aggravated child abuse. TV20 exclusively spoke to the little boy's grandmother to find out why she thinks he was beaten to death.
"He was a happy, active little two- year- old. He always smiled and did his eyes like this," said Nancy Adkins.
This is how Adkins remembers her two year old grandson Kayne Williams. Kanye died last week after being treated in the Intensive Care Unit at UF Health Shands for more than a week. He suffered severe head trauma.
"He was a fighter. He was strong. Just not that strong," said Adkins.
The baby ended up at the hospital after 25 –year- old Bryan Blalock, who was dating Kayne’s mother, reported the boy had fallen in a tub and hit his head. An investigation revealed the boy had been abused.
"I had gotten a text message that he had been beaten," said Adkins.
Deputies arrested Blalock after he admitted to shaking Kayne several times, until the boy passed out. Adkins said after seeing her grandson in the hospital she believes Blalock did more than just shake Kayne.
"He had a bite mark on his right thigh and his head was probably three time his natural size," said Adkins.
According to Adkins, Kayne’s mother Melissa Williams trusted Blalock with Kayne and his 4 year old sister.
"She said he played with the children. She never would have expected him to hurt them," said Adkins.
Deputies have charged Blalock with aggravated child abuse and he remains in the Marion County Jail on a $50,000 bond. Records show Blalock was arrested in 2007 for lewd and lascivious battery on a 15- year -old.
In the meantime, Adkins and her family are trying to cope with the loss. The only way she can do that is by remembering the good times she shared with her youngest grandchild.
"I hugged him and he hugged me and I said, "I love you Kayners," he said," I love you nana!" So that was the best memory I have of him right now," said Adkins.
Adkins said Kayne's funeral will be in Lakeland sometime this week. The family is currently trying to raise funds to pay for Kayne's funeral and medical bills. If you would like to donate visit the website below:
- Woman Charged With Child Abuse, After Suffocating 2-Month-Old Baby
- Tampa Woman Gets 7 Years For Baby's Death
- 50-Year-Old Dunnellon Grandmother Found Shot To Death In Her Driveway
- MCSO: 2-year-old death investigated as suspicious activity
- Child Abuse Prevention Task Force educates people about child safety
- Report: 15-Year-Old Race Car Driver Broke Neck, Suffered Severe Head Trauma
- Bell Tragedy: Investigators Knew About Alleged Child Abuse
- Neighbor Speaks Out about Accused Child Molester
- Gainesville mother speaks about child's parental abduction
- Family Speaks About Marine's Death