Horse Prices at OBS Winter Mix Sale Higher than Last Year
High dollar horses going for high dollar prices.
It's nothing new in Ocala but breeders are saying the Ocala Breeders' Sales Company's Winter Mix sale was better than last year.
The sale offered a selection of thoroughbred racing age horses .
Buyers from all over the globe made sure they attended the popular thoroughbred sale and they brought their pocketbooks with them too.
During the last two days of the Winter Mix sale, close to $6 million worth of horses have been sold.
Today, pregnant mares were the focus in the ring, helping thoroughbred breeders expand their breeding operations.
The numbers for today aren't in yet, but a woman who spent $75,000 on a racing candidate yesterday said the stallion was worth the price.
"He was my first pick. I was really excited to get him. It's hard when it's the last horse because that's when you don't have any other plans. So I was really thrilled we got him," said buyer Carol Murray.
This sale is a precursor to the spring sales at OBS in March and April, where the 2-year-olds are sold.
Most of those 2-year-olds would be prime candidates for big races like the Kentucky Derby.
- Teen Birth Rate Higher In The U.S. Than Many Other Developed Countries
- Home Sales in North Central Florida Rise Significantly Compared to Last Year
- Hotel Sales Up from Last Year's Gatornationals
- Higher Gas Prices Expected In Spring
- Capital One Bowl Tickets On Sale
- Close Race for Dixie County Judge, Mixed Emotions Among Residents
- Center Of The Horse Capital Was Burglarized
- Food Prices Could Rise if the Country Hits the Debt Ceiling
- Classic Car Show Brings Horsepower to Horse Country
- Sales Tax Holiday's Last Day