Inmate Dies After Collapsing at Levy County Jail
Published January 21st, 2014
GAINESVILLE- An inmate at the Levy County jail was pronounced dead today at a Williston hospital.
According to staff, 43-year-old Terrance Lamar Wiggins collapsed around 5:30 Monday morning at the jail.
Emergency services responded and transported him to a hospital.. Where he was pronounced dead.
Officials say Wiggins had a medical condition prior to his arrest in November.
Wiggins went to a jail physician about his complaints, but his family says he was not given adequate treatment for his heart condition.
Terrance's niece, Ashiki Wiggins, "they looked at his crime but they didn't look at him as a human being, they didn't at him as a person who was still sick and who was ill and who needed help-- they knew he had those conditions so they should've been paying attention to him. They are responsible."
An autopsy will be performed.
Wiggins' family says they plan on seeking justice in the future.
- Gilchrist County Jail Inmate Dies Two Days After Fight with Cellmate
- Inmate dies in Alachua County Jail
- Inmate Found Dead in Jail Hours After Arrest
- Inmate returned to jail after escaping
- Columbia county Inmate Collapses, Dies
- Marion County Jail Inmate Dies In Custody
- Inmates Fight Stats in Marion County Jail
- Alachua County Decides Whether to Rebuild Fairgrounds Barn After Collapse
- 15 People in Jail After Three Drug Busts
- Woman released from Gilchrist County jail after Sabal Trail Pipeline arrest