MLK Celebrations Begin
WILLISTON- The national holiday honoring Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. isn't until Monday, but residents in North Central Florida have already started celebrating the holiday. In Williston a parade and rally was held on Saturday morning. Residents, church groups and other organizations marched for empowerment in the community. Empowerment is the motto of the Ministerial Faith Alliance, which is responsible for this year’s festivities.
"My key is unity in the community. Where there is unity there is strength. Our main goal as the ministerial alliance is to give young people scholarships. Give them a chance to go to college. Empower them when they are struggling in college. It's our job to make sure that they make it," said Bishop Willie A. Battles who is the Vice President of Ministerial Faith Alliance.
Major city officials were present at both the parade and rally including the Mayor of Williston Gerald Hethcoat.
- Local Martin Luther King, Jr. Day 2015 Events
- Students Volunteer in Memory of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Event at MLK Center to Raise Awareness
- Martin Luther King Celebrations
- Ocala Celebrates Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Gainesville Celebrates Martin Luther King Jr.
- MLK Celebration
- Residents March Across Gainesville
- Ocala: Martin Luther King Day March Road Closures
- Martin Luther King Jr. Reflection