ACSO Lieutenant Under Investigation After He Accidentally Shot His Gun at the Courthouse
Alachua County Sheriff's Office Court Security Supervisor accidentally discharged his weapon...inside the courthouse.
Now, the incident is under investigation.
Lieutenant Calvin Decoursey was getting ready to clean his gun when a live round discharged into a briefcase in his office.
No one was hurt in the incident.
Firearm safety experts at Gainesville Target Range say discharges like this one happen mostly during cleaning or holstering.
"If you ever hear of firearm accidents, it's not really an accidental discharge. It's a negligent discharge," said Steven Bottcher, a firearm safety instructor at Gainesville Target Range.
The Alachua County Sheriff's Office said that Lieutenant Decoursey followed all the protocols for reporting this incident.
He has been put back on patrol, something the Sheriff's Office says was already in the works.
- Archer Man Shot Woman After She Kicked Down His Front Door
- Police Say Shooting Victim Fired Shots Into Crowd
- Sheriff's Office investigates two suicides at the jail
- Two Marion County Sheriff's Officials Come Under Fire After Internal Investigations
- Deputies disciplined after armored vehicle investigation
- Friend speaks out after Putnam County man shot, killed
- Alachua County Sheriff's Deputies Create Workout for Fallen Officers
- FL Bill Targets Sites That Charge To Remove Mugshots
- Sheriff Darnell Responds to Mike Fellows Investigation
- Routine Arrest Leads to Stolen Police Gun