Charlie Crist Stops in Gainesville with Early Voting on his Mind
Published February 12th, 2014
GAINESVILLE- The Florida Gubernatorial campaign came to North Central Florida today... In an unusual way.
The state says the Reitz Union on the campus of the University of Florida can't be an early voting site.
Democrats say that would suppress the vote of students.
State law regarding early voting sites was changed by current Governor Rick Scott in 2013 in order to allow several additional early voting sites to be designated.
Gubernatorial Candidate Charlie Crist, "this administration in particular, rick scott administration, this administration is suppressing your right to vote on campus."
"to simply pin it all on the governor in tallahassee is really a stretch, it's at variance with the facts," says Gainesville Mayor, Ed Braddy.
The change to voting law included broad terms and definitions of what a early voting site could be including: a stadium, civic center, government owned community, or convention center.
Technically the Reitz Union doesn't fit any of the categories.
- Early Voting Gainesville
- Early Voting For Gainesville City Commission
- George P. Bush Makes a Stop in Gainesville, Encouraging Young Voters to Get to the Polls
- Crist Open Minded on Offshore Oil Drilling
- 'Senator' Charlie Crist?
- Herman Cain Stops by Gainesville
- A Local Muslim Leader Has Faith that Pastor Jones Will Change His Mind...
- Early Voting Ended, Today's The Day To Vote
- Vice Presidential Hopeful, Paul Ryan Makes Victory Tour Stop in Ocala
- Charlie Crist Changes to Democratic Party