Jury Selection Continues in Ramgoolie Trial
MARION COUNTY- After two days in court, a jury has not yet been seated in the murder trial of a man accused of killing his infant cousin. Attorneys have spent more than 12 hours trying to select a jury for Rishi Ramgoolie.
Twenty-eight- year- old Ramgoolie is on trial for the murder of his five- month-old cousin Sanjana Muthra.
"I’d like you to raise your hand if you think that because a child has died that means a crime has occurred or someone must be guilty of something and therefore punished," said defense attorney Donna Kuchler.
On Tuesday attorneys continued their search for 12 jurors and two alternates. Ramgoolie's attorney Kuchler, spent the entire day questioning the jury pool. Some of the questions related to children.
"Do you all believe that something disastrous could happen to you with a child and there might not be anyone else at home to support what happened," asked Kuchler.
The baby died back in 2008. Ramgoolie told investigators the baby fell off a bed and hit her head while he was babysitting her, but then he changed his story. Deputies said Ramgoolie claimed he accidentally dropped Sanjana after he tripped.
"Does anyone think that yet because a child had a medical emergency it required the calling of 9-1-1, when only one person was there with them? Un-witnessed incident, that somehow that leads to an inference that there was a crime," said Kuchler.
Ramgoolie has pleaded not guilty in the death of five- month- old Sanjana. Right now the jury pool does not know much about the case, but they do know the victim’s age and that she suffered deadly head injuries. Some people in the jury pool expressed that the victims age may make it difficult for them to serve on the panel because they have children of their own. The trial is expected to last about three weeks.
- Man on Trial for Murder in the Death of Baby Cousin
- Jury Selection Continues In Murder Trial
- Jury Selection Begins on Murder Trial of Michelle Herndon
- Jury Selection in Hudson Family Murder Trial
- Jury Selection Continues In John Couey Case
- Zimmerman Trial Day 9: The Jury is Selected
- Bravo Trial Day 1: Jury Selected
- Five-Month-Old Dead, Mom and Big Sister in Critical Condition
- Zimmerman Trial: Day 2 of Jury Selection
- Zimmerman Trial: Day 3 of Jury Selection