Man Accused of Overcharging Elderly Woman
MARION COUNTY- A North Central Florida man is accused of ripping off an elderly woman while ripping out her homes shrubs. The man has been doing business as a landscaper in Marion County for many years.
"He overcharges or he doesn’t get the job done," said Annette Scholl.
Scholl of Belleview said she's not surprised one of her neighbors is accused of scamming an elderly woman.
"That's crazy. That’s not right," said Scholl.
After a nearly two week investigation, Marion County deputies arrested and charged this man with fraud and exploitation of the elderly. Deputies said 48- year- old BJ Helvy overcharged an elderly woman for tree services done at her home in Ocklawaha. The woman is 70- years- old and suffers from Alzheimer’s and dementia Investigators said Helvy charged her a grand total of $7,740.
"He deserves to actually pay it back," said neighbor Amanda Smith.
The victim provided checks and a receipt as evidence. During the investigation, detectives got quotes from two tree service companies, which revealed the tree service work is worth anywhere between $1,700 to $2,500.We tried contacting Helvy but he wasn't home. Instead his mother Bernice answered the door.
"I can hardly believe he would take advantage of an elderly person," said Bernice.
Helvy's mother said her son is not capable of such a crime.
"I raised him better than that and I would never think he would do something like that," said Bernice.
But others disagree. Saying they believe Helvy is a scammer.
"I have done a lot of work for him. I worked three or four weeks for him and he never paid me," said Kyle Persinger.
Records show Helvy has been arrested more than ten times. In 2007 Helvy was arrested and charged with cheating or gross fraud and exploitation of the elderly.
- Fla. Woman Accused of Selling Phony IPhones In Identity Theft Scam
- Ocala Man Accused of Beating Elderly Father With Pipe, Sledgehammer
- Man Accused of Sexually Assaulting Woman In Hawthorne Field
- Police: Gainesville Man Accused Of Beating, Stabbing Woman
- Gainesville Man Accused Of Dousing Bleach On Woman
- Alachua County Sheriff's Office Warns Against Scams on Elderly
- Teen Dies After 50-Foot Fall While Working For Tree Service
- Gainesville Tree Service Company Fined $153,000
- Accused Scam Ringleader Speaks Out
- Elderly Woman Found Dead in Home