Eviction Day for Tent City On The Horizon
GAINESVILLE - "Tent City" residents will have to pack up soon as the property owner makes plans to clear the land.
One owner of the five acre lot - Larry Coltane - tells us he is waiting for the homeless empowerment center off of 39th Avenue to open, then he wants the tents gone.
Back in 2009 he cleared the land, and then let a few people live there...but now he says there's 170 people living in the camp.
Area business people say the camp is bad for their bottom line.
Miguel Figueroa, owner of Best Motor Works: "They walk up and down here which seems to be part of doing business around here which is not too good."
The Empowerment Center is slated to open on May 1st for day services and by June 1st for overnight stays.
- Tent City Residents Being Evicted
- Tent City Evictions
- City Commissioners Pass Budget; Trouble on the Horizon
- Ocala city Council Not Ready to Vote on Proposed Tent City
- City will vote on cleaning up Tent City
- Tent City Residents May Be Stuck Finding New Homes
- Tent City Cats Up For Adoption
- Grace Marketplace Officials Dealing with Tent City Crime
- Months Later, Tent City Still A Messy Situation
- Nonprofit cleans up Tent City