Lake City Police Officer Shoots, Kills Armed Driver at DUI Checkpoint
At a routine DUI checkpoint in Lake City last night, a man pointed a gun at an officer's head and the officer fired into the man's car, killing him.
Around midnight, the Florida Highway Patrol along with the Lake City Police Department and Perry Police were directing drivers into a plaza off of highway 90 in Lake City.
Jimmy Eugene Barker from Tennessee pulled behind the other cars to wait his turn, but when Lake City police officer Michael Lee approached the car, the man pointed a gun at Lee's head.
Officer Lee grabbed the barrel of Barker's gun and reached for his own gun, killing Barker.
Sitting right next to him in the passenger seat was his brother.
"He was not shot, harmed or injured in any way in the incident last night he has been cooperating with our investigators and the Florida Department of Law Enforcement in the investigation trying to give us some background as to why his brother would come into our city, just happen to go into a DUI safety checkpoint and then pull a gun on one of our officers," said Officer Craig Strickland with the Lake City Police Department.
Officer Lee has been placed on routine leave and has been with the department since 2010.
The case has been handed to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and Barker's brother is trying to make his way back to Tennessee.
- Lake City woman killed in early morning crash
- Law enforcement searching for missing Lake City woman
- Man killed by teenage driver in Silver Springs Shores
- Man Killed During Race at Bronson Speedway
- Law enforcement tactics after California shooting
- Grant to battle against sexual violence given to law enforcement
- Local law enforcement issue statements following Dallas shooting
- Local law enforcement on alert after recent officer shootings
- Lake City Police Search For Armed Suspect
- Alachua Deputy Shoots, Kills Man After Fight