School Board Decides Against Adding Interim Superintendent Lyons to List of Final Candidates
Published March 19th, 2014
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- The Alachua County School Board is narrowing down its list of superintendent candidates, but it's who they're not considering that is generating the most debate among parents.
Last year, Hershel Lyons was named the new "interim" superintendent following the departure of Dan Boyd.
While Lyons initially declined to apply for the permanent job, he indicated in a letter that he would consider it if the Board isn't satisfied with their final candidates.
During a public meeting Tuesday, officials presented their list of the eight semi-finalists to the public, and despite their credentials several residents said they still feel Lyons would be the best candidate for the job.
"From what I did hear, none of them could even touch what we have here -- a jewel," said Alachua County NAACP President Evelyn Foxx, referring to Lyons. "He's somebody that all of you know."
"I would like to see the best candidate put in this position, and I do believe that's Hershel Lyons," said Newberry parent Kathryn Thomas. "He's very visible, he's very personable. It just makes sense to go with somebody that you know, and you trust," she said.
Despite the pleas from the public, School Board Chair Gunnar Paulson said the Board cannot stray from its rules by adding Lyon's name to the list of semi-finalists, considering he failed to submit an application before the advertised deadline.
The School Board will next meet in April to further trim down the list of finalists.
- School Board Seeks Publics Help in Superintendent Search
- Buchholz parents calling on Superintendent, school board
- School board accepts Superintendent's resignation; effective immediately
- School Board Candidates Discuss Charter Schools
- Hollinger named interim superintendent
- Alachua County School Board candidates react
- Alachua County school board to finalize SRO/SRD program contract
- Superintendent Candidate Fred Heid Visits UF
- Official list released of candidates for Gainesville's City Commission race
- Gainesville Commission At-Large Candidates Focus on GRU at Final 4A Forum