Alachua County Man Arrested for Allegedly Shooting Neighbor to Death
Published April 1st, 2014
ALACHUA COUNTY, Fla. -- A confrontation between two neighbors in northwest Alachua County Monday afternoon led to the death of one man, and the arrest of the other.
Alachua County Sheriff's Deputies arrested Randall Jeffrey Smith, 54, on a charge of second degree murder after they say he shot to death his neighbor -- 47-year-old Michael Joseph Carreiro -- who according to neighbors ran his own home repair business.
Last August, court records show Smith filed an injunction for protection from Carreiro. The injunction was turned down by the judge that same day.
Residents who live near the home on Millhopper Road say they heard multiple gunshots ring out around the time the shooting took place.
"I heard 4 or 5 gunshots," said Debora Bell, who was sitting outside when she heard gunshots being fired in rapid succession. "It almost sounded like a BB gun, you know, how you can shoot a BB gun very quickly," she said.
Deputies say Carreiro was found laying in the road, just feet away from his driveway when they arrived. He was later pronounced dead on-scene.
As of earlier in the day on Monday, deputies say Smith was cooperating with investigators. ASO is expected to release more details surrounding Smith's arrest on Tuesday.
- Man Who Stabbed Pit Bull To Death During Dogfight Arrested
- Suwannee Man Arrested After Allegedly Killing Two Men
- Neighbors say man arrested for planning terror attack has autism
- Shooting Leads to Captain's Death and Man in Serious Condition at Shands
- Ocala man charged in shooting death of former Gator football player
- Accidental Shooting Death In Dixie County
- Man Arrested in Infant Death
- Man Arrested on Child Porn Charges
- Shooting Injures Mother and Child, Neighbors Believe the Shooting was Retaliation
- Man Shoots Cat During Children's Sleepover