Background Checks At New Empowerment Center For Overnight Stays Only
GAINESVILLE - There will be background checks at the new GRACE Empowerment Center...but only for overnight services.
The majority of the city commission agreed with the homeless coalition's concerns that making people do a background check to get a hot meal, for example...is not the message they want to send.
Once the dorms are open though, they will require the checks to sleep at the facility.
Jon DeCarmine, director of operations, ACCHH: "they are aware of their own safety and well being as anyone else and we want to make sure we are respectful of that."
The center, located at the old Gainesville Correctional Institution, will open May 1st for daytime services and by July for overnight shelter.
- Commissioners Meet to Discuss Future of Empowerment Center
- UF Health Drops Lawsuit, ORMC Trauma Center Will Stay Open
- Ocala Trauma Center Fights to Stay Open
- New Trauma Center Opens in Ocala
- New Girls-Only Sport Rolls Into Gainesville
- New Common Core Changes- In Name Only
- Family Spotlight 4/28/11 "Volunteer Background checks"
- Empowerment Center Officially Open - But How Will People Get There?
- VOTER EMPOWERMENT
- How to Stay Safe in Your New Toyota