Bicyclist Hit By Drunk Driver Out of Hospital, Fellow Cyclists Raise Money for Her Recovery
Published April 16th, 2014
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- A University of Florida student is out of the hospital and recovering at home, just days after being hit by a suspected drunk driver while on her bicycle.
Ali Brody, 23, was riding her bike along University Avenue near 13th Street Saturday night, when a car swerved onto the sidewalk and hit her.
Brody was sent to the ICU at UF Health Shands with a cracked skull, a fractured spine and broken ribs.
Police say the driver of the car -- 21-year-old Kirtley Stephen Davis -- was arrested later that night after crashing into the back of another vehicle.
As Davis awaits trial in jail, friends of Brody and fellow members of the cycling community are now raising money for her recovery on the crowdfunding website GoFundMe.com.
As of Wednesday morning, the group had exceeded its original fundraising goal of $5,000.
"I didn't expect it to catch such steam, but it really just shows how strong of a cycling community we have in Gainesville," said Lauren Streifel, who started the GoFundMe page.
Streifel is the founder of a cycling group called Gainesville Velo Vixens, which is how she met Brody.
"Even though she's pretty banged up right now, I hope that she can make a full recovery and I really hope to see her back in the saddle sometime soon," said Streifel.
Brody was released from the hospital on Monday. Doctors say it should take her two to four months to heal up, although she will still have some long term effects, especially on her lower back where she suffered the spinal fracture.
Nevertheless, Brody says she's determined to get on a bike again no matter how long that takes.
- Officials: Drunk Driver Hits, Kills Lake City Woman
- Drunk Driver Hits Six Patrol Cars, Nearly Injures Officers
- Drunk Driver Hits Cop Car
- Three Drivers Hit GPD Patrol Cars, All Charged or Suspected of Drunk Driving
- Motel 6 Shooting Lands One Man in Hospital, Another in Jail
- FHP: Bicyclist Critically Injured in Late Night Hit and Run
- Bicyclist Injured In Hit and Run Identified
- Alachua Mayor Accused Of Attacking Driver & Using Racial Slurs While Drunk
- Police: Drunk Driver Assaults, Rams Ex-Girlfriend's Car
- Deputy Killed by Drunk Driver