"Girls On The Run" 5k Marathon
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- A local group is getting ready to run a 5K on Friday night… but unlike most runners, these are third, fourth, and fifth grade girls.
The girls are part of the "Girls on the Run" program for Alachua County.
The after-school program combines training to participate in a running event with self-esteem workouts, and a community service project.
The program is designed to help young girls with setting goals, stand up for themselves and to choose life outside the so called "girl box."
"What we try and teach them through running and setting goals is to embrace who they are. We're all different, but we can all work together, and that's kinda the theme of the program, is to get outside this girl box, embrace who you are, appreciate others for their individuality, and get rid of the mean girl in the "girl box," said Board Chair for the Alachua chapter, Erica Johnson.
"I've learned that we all work together and we all work as a team and we can't be able to function without working as a team," said Leah Clines, one of the runners participating on the 5K.
- Family Spotlight 4/15/10 "Girls On The Run"
- "Sweet" Fundraiser Benefits Dance Marathon & Shands Hospital for Children
- "5 Points of Life" Marathon & Relay
- Students/Community Honor Victims of 9/11 with "Good Deed" Marathon
- Wise Joins Effort with "Raise the Roof" Fundraiser for Girls Place
- Racist Rant Girls "No Longer Students at GHS"
- Gainesville Man "Picks Up" a 14 year old Girl
- Emotions Run High as Commissioners Face Questions During Biomass Plant "Workshop"
- Gainesville Runners Remember Boston Marathon Victims on One Year Anniversary of Bombings
- Runners Participate In Five Points Of Life Marathon