FDLE investigating police union president
The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is investigating allegations the president of a local police union mismanaged hundreds of thousands of dollars that belong to the union.
Jeff McAdams has long been the public face for the Fraternal Order of Police (FOP)—but tonight he has been suspended.
As a member of the Gainesville Police Department Jeff McAdams should know and follow the law--but tonight we're learning that separate investigations are looking into whether or not he did the opposite.
The FOP’s Gator Lodge, a labor union that provides representation to law enforcement, held a meeting tonight to discuss allegations of misappropriating union funds.
Multiple law enforcement sources tell TV20 McAdams is being investigated by the regional FOP as well as the FDLE for criminal allegations.
These allegations go back all the way to 2011.
A source inside the meeting who wanted to remain anonymous says McAdams is accused of using about three hundred thousand dollars in FOP funds over the course of three years to pay for personal trips, groceries and restaurant purchases, among other things.
Sgt. Brandon Kutner is president of the Police Benevolent Association, a competing union to the FOP. He tells me even though the FOP does provide legal representation to its members, they most likely will not in McAdams' case.
"I would be very surprised if the Fraternal Order of Police paid for any legal representation for Mr. McAdams considering that these allegations are obviously outside the scope of his performance as a law enforcement officer," said Kutner.
The FOP’s Gator Lodge declined to issue a statement about the investigations but we have learned McAdams' police powers are suspended.
He has also been suspended as president of the union until a resolution has been reached.
Chip Skambis contributed to this report.
- FDLE investigating Gainesville Fraternal Order of Police's finances
- FDLE Investigating Waldo Police Chief
- Police investigate child assault
- Sheriff's Office Investigates Employee For Misappropriation Of Funds
- Police Union President Accused of Tampering With Evidence
- Gators Roll to Victory Over Eastern Michigan; Jake McGee Out for Season
- High Springs Police Department Investigations Continue, Some City Officials Disagree
- Ocala Police Find Marijuana Grow House While Investigating Death
- UF fraternity under investigation, three members expelled
- Gainesville Police Officer Resigns After An Ongoing Investigation