FHP trooper hurt in crash while escorting body of fellow trooper
A Florida Highway Patrol trooper has been released from the hospital after sustaining minor injuries this morning while escorting the body of a trooper who was killed over the weekend to the funeral home.
Trooper Kevin Brown was sent to The Villages Hospital when a Mercedes sedan collided with his motorcycle near the intersection of US-27 and County Road 466 in Lady Lake.
He was escorting the body of recently deceased Trooper Chelsea Richard, 30, from the medical examiner’s office to a funeral home.
Richard died when a pickup hauling a trailer—driven by Troy Owens, 22, of Ocala—left the roadway, struck Richard’s squad car and then hit her and the driver of a vehicle from an earlier accident and the tow truck driver assisting him.
All three had been standing on the grassy shoulder of southbound I-75 at the time they were hit.
While the driver who hit Brown was ticketed for failing to yield for a law enforcement vehicle, charges are still pending for the driver of the black pickup that killed Chelsea Richard.
Officials say charges won’t be filed until a Traffic Homicide Investigation has been completed, which they say could take months. In order to avoid a conflict of interest, FHP Troop C will be conducting that investigation.
Funeral arrangements for Richard will be Thursday afternoon at the First Baptist Church of Ocala on SE Maricamp Road, which is scheduled for 2 p.m.
- Funeral Services For FHP Trooper Chelsea Richard Being Held Thursday
- FHP Trooper Remembered By Family At Funeral
- Funeral Services For Fallen FHP Trooper
- Several Children Injured In I-75 Crash Involving FHP Trooper
- ASO to Escort Local Marine's Body
- FHP Trooper Struck, Injured on I-75
- FHP Search For Man Who Shot At State Troopers
- I-75 Trooper Accident Update
- FHP Seizes 89 Pounds of Marijuana During Traffic Stop
- FHP: One Person Killed in Single-Car Accident On I-75, Rainy Weather to Blame