FHP Trooper Remembered By Family At Funeral
Published May 8th, 2014
OCALA - North Central Florida gathered to mourn the loss of a state trooper who was killed in the line of duty. She was killed as a result of the tragic crash on I-75 in Marion County Saturday afternoon. The crash, near the dunnellon/ belleview exit, took the lives of a Florida Highway Patrol trooper, a tow truck driver and a pedestrian.
Sergeant Tracy Hisler-Pace with FHP said, "Trooper chelsea richard was a phenomenal trooper. She did her job with a smile and she had the most beautiful smile. Honestly even on the cloudiest, darkest day her smile brought sunshine."
Florida Highway Patrol, family and friends are gathered today for the funeral of trooper Chelsea Richard, at the First Baptist Church of Ocala. Richard was killed while working a car crash on I-75 near mile marker 341, going Southbound last weekend, when a multiple car pile-up occurred. One of the pick-up trucks in that pile-up traveled into the east shoulder where trooper richard, a tow truck driver and pedestrian were killed.
"This is a very sad day for our agency and for Chelsea's family… we are heartbroken but we will continue our mission in her honor," Sergeant Pace said.
Richard began her career in 2005 with the 111th recruit class. She later became a field training officer and provided guidance to the new troopers. She was transferred to Troop B in the Ocala district on April of last year. It's a job her family says she was destined to do.
Sergeant Richard's father, Bruce Richard said, "Chelsea was happy to be a trooper with florida highway patrol… she was no longer the shy little girl from new york but an fhp trooper. She was confident and strong yet passionate and loving."
But before her job came one individual that meant everything to Richard. "Chelsea you don't have to worry because each of us will be here for clayton. He will know his mother was a great woman and a hero and would never leave him if she had any choice," Bruce Richard said. A hero for her son and everyone else at the funeral.
- Funeral Services For Fallen FHP Trooper
- Funeral Services For FHP Trooper Chelsea Richard Being Held Thursday
- FHP trooper hurt in crash while escorting body of fellow trooper
- FHP troopers crack down on move over violations trying to save lives
- New law will aid families of officers and firefighters killed in line of duty
- Troopers Ticketing Aggressive Driving
- FHP: Hit and Run Driver Wanted
- FHP says hit & run cases not getting any better
- Remembering Brandon Garner
- Local Law Enforcement Honor Fallen Officers