Gainesville City Commissioners Consider New Roam Towing Regulations
Published May 2nd, 2014
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- City commissioners are considering a new set of roam towing regulations that -- if adopted -- would add more protections for vehicle owners.
The new rules would extend the tow companies' operating hours, require all drivers to wear a company uniform and companies receiving a certain number of citations would have their towing license revoked.
The changes would also put an end to companies being able to assume the business operations of a suspended towing company --as happened with Ultimate Towing several years ago.
Police say the new regulations are needed after receiving more towing complaints.
"The reason that we're recommending that these changes be adopted is as a result of a number of complaints, some criminal and some civil, that have gone on over the last few years," said Jeff McAdams, towing administrator for the Gainesville Police Department.
"We want to make sure that the folks who have their vehicle properly towed, know that they have rights," he said.
But attorneys for Ultimate Towing say they have concerns with the rules as they're currently written.
"The city's put a lot of work into its roam towing ordinance, but it needs a little bit more work," said attorney Gary Edinger.
"Primarily, [we're concerned with] the way they deal with revocations, we have due-process concerns. We want to make sure that the process is fair, that appropriate notice is given," Edinger said.
Commissioners approved the first reading of the proposal on Thursday, but put off the second reading for 30 days to address the concerns raised by Ultimate Towing.
- City Commissioners Consider New Governance Structure for GRU
- Gainesville City Commissioners Consider Fire Assessment Fee
- Gainesville Commissioners Agree on E-Cig Regulation
- Gainesville City Commissioners' Reactions to New Police Chief
- Two New Gainesville City Commissioners Sworn In
- New Gainesville City Commissioners
- Roam Towing becoming "Ridiculous"
- Roam Towing Violations Means Six Month Suspension
- Driver's Beware Roam Towing Is Still In Effect
- Gainesville City Commission Considers Cheaper Alternative, TSM