Hundreds of Students Carry Water
GAINESVILLE - They walked in their shoes - or tried to - in order to get a feel of walking miles for water.
Based on the true story from the book "A Long Walk to Water" kids at High Springs Community School walked around and around with jugs.
It was all to get a feel for kids in Africa who walk miles for drinking water...that's often dirty when they find it.
Skyler Borchers, 8th grader High Springs Community School: "you don't even think about the 15 steps it takes to get to the water and they have to take mile long trips."
This is the second year of the community water day..to raise social awareness about clean drinking water and how to preserve it.
The kids also raised money to drill wells for water in Africa.
- UF Student Carries Olympic Torch
- Students for Concealed Carry
- Students for Concealed Carry 5:30
- Hundreds of Marion County Teachers, Students Brave the Rain to Protest Layoffs
- UF Students Threw 50,000 Balloons In Epic Water Balloon Fight
- Hundreds of Students March Back to Ohio School
- Plane Carrying Miami Heat Players Makes Emergency Landing
- Deputies: Airport Screeners Find Handgun In Woman's Carry-On Bag
- Breathalyzers, Most Cop Cars Don't Carry Them
- Teacher Arrested for Carrying Gun on Campus