Man Charged With Murder After Another Man, Dog Found Stabbed to Death
Published May 13th, 2014
MARION COUNTY, Fla. -- A North Central Florida man is behind bars -- charged with second degree murder -- after sheriff's deputies say they found the bodies of another man and a dog inside his Marion County apartment.
Marion County Sheriff's Deputies responded to the Greenfields Apartments around 1:30 Monday afternoon, where the bodies of a man and a dog were found -- both stabbed to death -- inside an apartment belonging to 38-year-old Daniel Trent.
Investigators say Trent was still at the scene when they arrived and admitted to the killings.
Neighbors say Trent moved into the neighborhood about six months ago, but just last week began letting a friend stay at the apartment. That "friend" is now believed to be the man who was found dead.
"We know that the person that died at the apartment was not on the lease at that particular apartment," said Judge Cochran, spokesman for the Marion County Sheriff's Office.
While it's not clear what led to the killings, multiple neighbors say Trent did appear to suffer from some sort of mental condition.
"He just acted really strange, was overly friendly and drank a lot," said Geralyn Anderson, who lived right next door to Trent.
Other neighbors who declined to speak on camera told TV20 that they heard Trent and his roommate fighting outside the apartment on Sunday night.
Sheriff's deputies say they have identified the male victim but are withholding his name until family is notified.
Neighbors say the dog is a stray that Trent recently brought into his home.
Trent was booked into the Marion County jail on Monday night. No bond has been set.
- Man, 24, Charged With Murder In Somer Thompson Case
- Ocala man charged in shooting death of former Gator football player
- Marion county man found shot to death in car
- Georgia Man Charged After 10 Dead Dogs Found in Home
- Ocala man charged with murder
- Man dies after being found shot in car
- Man Who Stabbed Pit Bull To Death During Dogfight Arrested
- Gainesville Man, 47, Accused Of Trying To Stab Brother
- Missing Dogs Found at Phoenix Animal Rescue, Owners Say They Struggled to Get Them Back
- Inmate Found Dead in Jail Hours After Arrest