New Commissioners sworn in
Gainesville, Florida -- The Gainesville city commission just tipped a little bit to the right.
Two of the three commissioners who were sworn in Thursday are new -- and as a result, a commission that had a number of 5-2 votes may now have a number of 4-3 votes.
But all three commissioners sworn in shared a common theme.
And that theme is teamwork.
Craig Carter, Todd Chase and Helen Warren all talked about economic growth Thursday.
All three got emotional as they spoke about what they plan to accomplish in the next three years in office.
This is Chase's second term in office and the first for Carter and Warren.
Chase says he wants to continue to get more citizens involved with decision making in the community.
Carter stressed his top three priorities are God, his family and the city of Gainesville.
While Warren says the position of the commissioner is to find the balance with the services that are being provided to the people and hearing the voices of the people saying what they need.
Craig Carter, Commissioner, District 3: "My priorities are to the citizens with proper growth. What that's going to mean is we're going to have developers come in and builders, and what we need to do is sit down, cause we need them, we need growth, proper growth, and what we need to do is make sure everybody's okay with that."
Helen Warren, Commissioner at large: "I just want to continue that conversation as we talk about meeting the economic needs of growth, getting jobs out to people of all ages and skill levels. And this city is one of those places where the leadership can do things that we don't see in some of the other cities out there."
The city commission also appointed Craig Carter as mayor-commissioner pro tem for the 2014-2015 term.
Commissioner Chase says that despite having different beliefs and values he believes commissioners have a chance to show that they can all work together to better the community.
- Two New Gainesville City Commissioners Sworn In
- Commissioner Sworn In
- New Mayor of Gainesville Sworn In
- New Police Chief Sworn In at Santa Fe College
- City Commissioners Consider New Governance Structure for GRU
- Gainesville City Commissioners Consider New Roam Towing Regulations
- Micanopy Town Commissioners Reject New Sidewalk Project
- Gainesville City Commissioners' Reactions to New Police Chief
- New Alachua County Commissioner Appointed
- Alachua County Commissioners Formally Discuss Plans for New Biomass Plant