Three Generations of Firefighters
Published May 20th, 2014
Gainesville, Florida -- One north central family has had three generations of firefighters serve in Gainesville's fire rescue over the past twenty-five years.
Robert, JD and Colby Perryman are the only three generation family in modern times at the fire department.
Robert Perryman worked with the Gainesville fire department for 25 years.
JD Perryman has been with them for over twenty years.
Now his son Colby is following behind his father and grandfather's footsteps.
Robert was awarded the first fireman of the year for the city of Gainesville in 1967 and his son JD received the same award exactly 30 years later.
All three men were inspired by the previous to become firefighters.
Colby Perryman, firefighter: "Two main reasons, number 1 , I like to help people, I like to see people get well. Number 2, I had 2 great role models growing up, my grandfather Robert Perryman, and my dad JD."
The Perrymans have fighting fires in their blood.
Robert has two brothers, whose sons work with the Alachua county fire rescue and in Indiana as a firefighter.
- The Man Behind the Boom: Three Generations of Fireworks
- New Name, Same Mission..."The Dignity Project- Second Generation"
- A Gift That Spans Five Generations
- Dignity Project Second Generation Still Operating
- New Generation of Libertarians Steps Forward
- The Next Generation at High Springs Cemetery
- Sleep-Texting... Common Among New Generation
- Gainesville Fire Rescue Without Generators, But Will Have Them In The Future
- Generator Safety
- UF Scholarship for First Generation College Students Gets Coaches Support