Homicides Committed Hours Apart from Each Other in Marion Co.
Published June 25th, 2014
MARION COUNTY--Two people were gunned down in Marion County just hours apart from each other.
Now, the Marion County Sheriff's Office is pooling their resources to try to solve these crimes.
55-year-old Michael Sumpter was shot near the front of his residence off of northeast 16th terrace in Citra late Tuesday night.
He died several hours later at the hospital.
28-year old Candice Ambrose was shot and killed Wednesday morning on a rural property near southeast 85th court in Belleview several hours after Sumpter passed away.
Ambrose was shot while she was sitting in a car.
Detectives say they are interviewing persons of interest in both cases and but in Sumpter's death, they are talking with family members who might have witnessed these crimes.
"Interviews are going on right now to determine exactly what they heard, what they saw, what they know about the situation. And then we're also looking for some other folks who might have some information for us to try to put the puzzle together," said Captain James Pogue with the Marion County Sheriff's Office.
Evidence is being collected at both scenes and metal detectors are being used in the backyard of Sumpter's home.
Right now, investigators believe these two shootings are not connected.
- Citra Murder Suspect Apprehended, Given No Bond
- Belleview Woman Struck by Train, Marion Co. Residents Call for Preventative Measures
- Young First Responders Compete Against Each Other in State Leadership Conference
- Marion County Sheriff's Office Granted More Money for Cars
- Sheriff's Office Focuses on Crime Prevention Campaign
- Marion County Sheriff's Office responds to grand jury's recommendations
- Marion Co. Man Reported Missing, Family Fears for His Safety
- Marion Co. Strong Arm Robbery Suspect Caught
- Authorities Searching for Missing Marion Co. Man
- Marion County Sheriff's Office looking into possible connected armed robberies