Fraudulent Coupon Scam Arrests
Marion County, Florida -- Four people are behind bars tonight for using fake coupons to buy merchandise and reselling them at flea markets.
Marion county deputies say Shawn Ernst, Linda Disilvio, Charles McGregor and Christine Pierce are charged with organized fraud and organized dealing.
Officials say they used an online website to purchase fake coupons.
Ernst and Disilvio purchased items including dog food, diapers and laundry detergent and then resold them at a local flea market on the weekends at a discounted price.
Two Wal-Mart's the victims targeted heavily lost over 140,000 dollars in product because they used these fraudulent coupons.
Lieutenant brain Dotten says they tracked the activity dating back to last September.
Dotten says the suspects targeted other stores such as Publix, Winn Dixie and CVS.
They are trying to identify how these coupons are made so they can prevent this from happening again.
The investigation is still ongoing.
- Gainesville Police Arrest Two In Credit Card Scam
- Coupons Bring Crowds
- Woman Arrested After Scamming South Florida Students
- Florida Lottery Warns of Lottery Scam
- Publix Warns Shoppers About Facebook Scam
- Real Estate Transaction Scams
- Local Scam in Newberry
- Gilchrist County Bank of America Scam Alert
- GRU Warns Business Customers of Potential Scam
- Kidney Scam