Gainesville Bicyclist Dies After Colliding with SUV
Gainesville, FL -- This was supposed to be a week of celebration for one North Central Florida family. But instead, they are grieving after suffering a tragic loss.
All that was left at the scene of a tragic accident is a backpack and a wrecked bicycle in the grass, which belonged to 49-year-old William Bailey III, who would turn 50 in just four days.
Thursday afternoon Bailey was attempting to cross SW 20th Avenue on his bicycle when officials say he rode into the path of a 2008 silver Toyota RAV 4. Officials would not specify if he was wearing a helmet, but he did suffer severe trauma before being taken to Shands Hospital, where he died.
According to GPD Officer Ryan Foster, "the vehicle was traveling eastbound down SW 20th Avenue and as far as we know the bicyclist was traveling southbound across the street."
The investigation is still ongoing but officials said they do not expect any charges at this point.
- Panther Dies After Colliding with Car
- Woman, 39, Dies After Crashing SUV Into Tree
- SW 20th Avenue Annexation?
- Young girl dies after boating accident
- Gainesville Business Owner Dies from Firework Accident
- Gainesville Swimmer Dies in Car Accident
- Suspect Makes First Court Appearance After Fatally Stabbing Gainesville Man
- Five Injured After SUV Overturns On I-75 In Alachua County
- Child, 2, Seriously Injured After Crawling Under SUV
- Fatal Motorcycle Accident