Suspicious Bag Found Downtown
GAINESVILLE -- some tense moments in downtown Gainesville earlier today after a suspicious package was found outside the Alachua County Administration building in downtown Gainesville.
This suspicious bag was the focus of everyone's attention for about an hour downtown.
The bag was first noticed by staff of the administration building.
Both the Gainesville Police Department and Alachua County Sherrifs office were called out before deciding to call the bomb squad.
First Avenue was blocked off waiting for the bomb squad to come and check the bag out.
The bag was propped directly on the electrical box thats what prompted officials to call in the bomb squad.
Patrons outside the building has to sit and wait before being allowed to get to their cars.
Officers gave the people inside the administration building the option of a voluntary evacuation.
After about an hour of waiting people got thier answer of what was inside the bag.
(Ben Tobias, Gainesville Police Department PIO) " what was found was someones clothes inside a briefcase that had been discarded near an electrical box."
The bag is now in police custody where they will try to find out who it belongs to.
- Matheson Museum Brings Alachua County History to Life
- Lee Niblock to Take Over as Alachua County Manager
- District Four Candidate Makes Alachua County All Democratic Commission
- Alachua County Students Play Mayor for the Day
- Suspicious Letters Scare in Marion County
- Missing Kids Found
- Gainesville Towing Rates Going Up
- Gainesville Police Department Makes Big Prostitute Bust
- Uber is Officially in Gainesville
- Superintendent of Gilchrist County Schools Speaks Out About the Kids Murdered in Bell