Three Arrested for Child Neglect in Lake City
Lake City, FL -- Two toddlers are hopefully sleeping well after an adventure Monday morning that put their parents behind bars.
A two- and one-year-old were found wandering down the streets of the Mayfair subdivision in Lake City at about 8:30 Monday morning. A neighbor spotted the children and tried to find their parents but he had no luck, so he called the Columbia County Sheriff's Office.
The childrens parents - 21-year-old Rikki Allagood and 19-year-old John Newhart - along with Newhart's mother, 38-year-old Victoria Swezy - were arrested on charges of child neglect after they said they were asleep and the children left the home.
Allagood and Swezey were also arrested on charges of obstruction for giving false statements to detectives.
According to Columbia County Sheriff's Office Spokesperson Murray Smith, "basically they said that the other member that was arrested was not in the home and he had actually hid from deputies."
TV20 attempted to speak with someone living inside the household and a gentleman came out and said the kids are back in the home and living with relatives. As for the three arrested, they're still being held at the Columbia County Detention Facility with no bond.
- Three Arrested for Robbery in Lake City
- Lake City Police Arrest Three Men for Home Invasion and Shooting
- Lake City Man Arrested for Child Abuse
- Lake City Man Arrested for Sexual Battery on a Child
- Three Arrested In Columbia County Meth Lab Bust
- Violent Criminal Organization In Columbia County Arrested
- Intoxicated Parents Arrested, Face Child Neglect Charges
- Marion County Couple Accused of Child Neglect
- Three Ocala Teams Fall as Columbia County Beats Vanguard 22-21, North Marion on the Road, and Lake Weir at Home
- Police Look For Three Suspects Accused Of Robbing Lake City Man