Bike Thefts on the Rise
GAINESVILLE - Bike thefts are up 60%...meaning you are now four times as likely to have your bike stolen as you car.
And some places right here in North Central Florida are seeing the same trend.
University of Florida police officers say that this year since January alone there have been 137 thefts at UF.
That's compared to 111 thefts over the entirety of last year.
The UF police department reccomends registering your bike with them.
Officer Wayne Clark, UF Police Department: "If we see the sticker affixed to the bicycle we can actually confirm that that bike belongs to the person riding that bike at that time."
They recently recovered a stolen bike out of state.
Others in the city of Gainesville are also encouraged to register their bikes... which can be done through the Gainesville Police Department.
- Police Cracking Down on Bike Thefts
- Increased Bike Thefts at UF
- Scooter Thefts on the Rise in Gainesville
- Scrap Metal Thefts on the Rise
- Scooter Thefts On The Rise
- Copper Theft On The Rise
- Gainesville Celebrates Bike Month With New Bike Lockers
- Elementary School Students Learn About Bike Safety
- Bike Licenses May be on the Way to Gainesville
- Group Discusses Bike Concerns in Gainesville