How Much of the Shark Fear is Real?
Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water...
From "Jaws" to "Sharknado," popular culture celebrates the danger posed by sharks.
Now a cable channel is promoting what it calls "shark week."
With a 10 year old florida girl sent to the hospital over the weekend for a shark bite some people may become scared to get into the water.
There are about 5 deaths and up to 70 shark attacks a year globally.
With most of those attacks happening in Florida it can be a little scary to jump in the ocean thinking of Jaws.
Thats not exactly the case and with it being Shark Week many people are taking the bait when it comes to making these show more fiction than fact.
George Burgess has worked with sharks for most of his life, and has been a featured multiple times on Discovery channels Shark Week.
While for the most part the facts may be right their editing department is whats really keeping viewers watching.
(George Burgess, Museum of Natural History Florida Shark Research Director) " i know from personal experience having been on some of those shows that, discovery has gone back to the filmakers and said we need more fear."
Sharks are still a threat but theres no reason to fear sharks.
Its usually a case of mistaken identity or the sharks feel threatened.
It may seem obvious but if you do see a shark get out of the water.
- Beating the Summertime Blues: Florida Museum of Natural History
- Matheson Museum Brings Alachua County History to Life
- How to Get Out of Debt
- How to Properly Install a Car Seat
- How to keep your house safe during the holidays
- Just how common is Gallbladder disease?
- Law Enforcement Working Together On Four Recent Attacks
- No Answers in University Attacks But One Student Speaks Out About the Suspect
- Same Sex Marriage Licenses Legal in Florida
- North Central Florida Celebrates The 2014 World Cup