Uber is Officially in Gainesville
GAINESVILLE-- A new way to get around town has launched in Gainesville and 21 other college towns.
"Uber-x" officially launched today and has the potential to change the way you get around town.
But this app may put some companies out of business with an potentially illegal service.
Uber x is marketed as ride share program that you can use just like a taxi.
Except its not regulated like a taxi.
Uber x is considered a ride share program they dont have to observe those same regulations since its pretty much treated like a car pool.
This means that insurance wont cover you like a taxi would.
On the app it states how they are not responsible for injuries or damages.
(Jeremiah Tattersall- North Central Florida Central Labor Council) ' There not going to be paying taxes, they're not going to be paying the proper insurance, they're going to be misclassifying their workers as independent contractors, its all going to be illegal and something thats going to have to be challenged. "
No matter what the risks are, many people are just looking for an easy way home and uber is an option for many.
- Uber Rides May Cost More Than You Think
- City Officials Seeking Fairness Among Uber, Cab Drivers
- Gainesville Towing Rates Going Up
- Gainesville Police Department Makes Big Prostitute Bust
- Supreme Court Rules in Favor of Hobby Lobby
- 33 Million Dollars Going to Veterans
- Congressman Ted Yoho Wins Republican Primary Elections
- Vote 2014: Update on Governors Race Before Polls Close
- Governor Rick Scott Wins Re-Election
- Navy Dad Surprises Teen at High School Graduation