Gilchrist County United After Tragedy
Bell, FL -- Gilchrist County is coming together after a murder-suicide threatened to tear apart the community. Six kids and their mother were murdered Thursday before the shooter turned the gun on himself.
Seven white balloons flying high in Gilchrist County Friday night, one for each victim who lost their life at the hands of one man a little more than 24 hours before. 9-year-old Kylie Kuhlmann, 11-year-old Kaleb Kulhmann, 8-year-old Johnathon Kuhlmann, 5-year-old Destiny Stewart, 4-year-old Brandon Stewart and 3-month-old Alanna Stewart, as well as their mother, 28-year-old Sarah Spirit, were found dead in Don Charles Spirit's home Thursday afternoon. Officials say Spirit shot and killed his grandchildren and daughter and then himself.
"That should've never happened," said resident Gerald Blong.
The community is in shock, showing up in full force at a Friday night football game between Bell and Trenton high schools. Heads bowed for a moment of silence for all the victims before the game, and team colors were scant in the stands. Instead, a sea of white flowed through through the stands as a symbol of peace and unity, bringing together an entire county showing support for the town of less than 400 people. "There's approximately 16,000 to 17,000 citizens in Gilchrist County, everybody knows everyone," said Gilchrist County Sheriff Bobby Schultz.
Even after those seven white balloons fall to the ground, those victims will always be remembered by one community.
- Superintendent of Gilchrist County Schools Speaks Out About the Kids Murdered in Bell
- Man Behind Bars For Gilchrist County Murder
- 8 Dead Including 6 Children in Gilchrist County Murder-Suicide
- DCF Employees Switch To Lower Paying Jobs After Bell Tragedy
- Bell Tragedy: Keeping The Spirit Alive
- Bell Tragedy: State Rep. Says DCF Needs To Be Accountable
- Bell tragedy: Dash cam vid & FDLE report released reveal motive
- Bell Tragedy: Community Mourns Lives Lost
- 'Suspicious Death' In Gilchrist County Ruled A Homicide
- Gilchrist County Homicide, Victim Dies Fleeing From Intruder