Local agencies trained on new DCF methodology
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida's Department of Children and Families officials are training agencies across the state on new methodology.
According to a DCF employee, 55 percent of families are revisited multiple times after their first.
DCF changed the department's operations methodology after incidents ending in children's deaths: like Bell, Kornegay shooting in Columbia County and others across the state.
"Instead of responding to what happened yesterday," DCF's Constance Fulp explains," we will look for why do we keep coming here...what's the root cause of the behavior."
Representatives from agencies across North Central Florida gathered at Alachua County Sheriff's office Friday to discuss how to improve communications among agencies."
Alachua County Sheriff Sadie Darnell says everyone is learning from each incident. "There are lessons to be learned from each of those situations."
She says by working together, all agencies can only improve.
The training is designed to educate law enforcement and other DCF partners what information is crucial - closing the gaps that many children fall into.
"Not only do they know their role," Director of Child Advocacy Center Sherry Kitchens says, "but they also know other agencies' roles very well."
She says that leads to improving access to each other's resources.
All residents, according to Kitchens, need to help DCF and their partners by reporting suspicions.
"We'd rather air on the side of caution and make sure children are safe."
Under Florida law, everyone is required to report suspicions.
DCF Anonymous Hotline: 1-800-96-ABUSE
- Parents of Kornegay sisters charged with child abuse and neglect
- DCF Releases Past History with Sarah Spirit and Her Children, Funerals Held Today
- Bell Tragedy: Investigators Knew About Alleged Child Abuse
- Bell Tragedy: State Rep. Says DCF Needs To Be Accountable
- DCF Employees Switch To Lower Paying Jobs After Bell Tragedy
- Florida's New Child Abuse Law Could Cause More Harm Than Good
- 11 & 15 Year-Olds Accused Of Killing Brother
- Kornegay family appears in court
- DCF Spokesperson Arrested on Child Pornography Charges
- Child Abuse Prevention Task Force educates people about child safety