Laptops stolen from Micanopy Middle
MICANOPY, Fla-- "We were shocked and devastated."
Tara Lowe-Phillips is the principal at Micanopy Middle Charter School. A school that was recently hit by crime.
"A teacher came in early the next day to do some work and that's when she realized we had been robbed," said Lowe-Phillips.
On August 30th, the middle school was burglarized. Some cash, personal belongings, and 10 laptops stolen.
"It was a shock to realize somebody had broken into our school that we loved, and had just ransacked and gone through all of our belongings," said Lowe-Phillips.
Marion County Sheriff's deputies have since arrested 49-year old Willie Jones in connection with the burglary. Police say Jones is also connected to a string of armed robberies in Ocala.
But Lowe-Phillips says it's not over for her school.
The cost to get all new laptops reaches about $2,500. With a $5,000 deductible policy, it's a price the insurance company says it won't cover.
Micanopy residents are stepping in.
"We're all trying to get the money up and help them out," said resident, Kylie Denning.
At the Old Florida Cafe in Micanopy, a flyer hanging on the front door, asks for donations for the school. And just behind the doors, employee, Kylie Denning is hoping her small gesture will go a long way.
"I just thought what can I do, well I can do my tips," said Denning.
On Wednesday, Denning and a coworker will be donating every penny of their tips to the middle school.
"I'm hoping to raise at least $50. I mean it's not much when you think about a laptop with the price of technology today but I'm hoping for 50," said Denning.
"Our school has been very grateful for the help, and the nice notes, and the well wishes, that we have received so far," said Lowe-Phillips.
Lowe-Phillips says the help of the community could bring some good from a bad situation.
"Hearing from the community, really makes a big difference. We're a small school, it's a small town out here," said Lowe-Phillips.
- Deputies: string of burglaries span four counties
- Bomb threat at Kanapaha Middle School deemed hoax
- Alzhemier's Bracelet Programs Keep Track of Elderly
- Marion County sheriff's deputies looking for suspect after patrol cars burglarized, guns stolen
- Fake credit cards found in Alachua County
- Law enforcement tactics after California shooting
- Commissioners want less drug possession arrests, cut sheriff's budget
- Waldo agrees to pay off debt from use of center
- Last Known Coordinates For Missing Plane Identified
- Routine Arrest Leads to Stolen Police Gun