Friends and family wear red high tops to remember teen
Published June 1st, 2016
ANTHONY, Fla. --
A 12-year-old girl is being laid to rest today after she was killed in a car crash last month. And today, friends of the teen are remembering her in a way she would have loved.
"She just made me happy."
Friends of grace force came out to the unity baptist church in Anthony to celebrate the memory of the teen - after she was killed in a crash that left six of her family members injured."She had a beautiful spirit, a nice smile, and when I first came for my first church service, I could just feel she was very special."
And their favorite memory - the story of how grace got a pair of red high tops she had always wanted.
"We were going to coordinate she would have the red ones I would have the black."After a year and a half of hope, grace finally got her wish. She was blindfolded and surprised with her very own pair red high-top shoes. Friends say to honor her memory - everyone was asked to wear a pair red shoes to remember the teen.
"And they've been completely sold out and to hear the lady at journey says grace was really awesome," says Alaina Poimboeuf.
Rachel Force - one of grace's five siblings - says seeing everyone wearing the shoes has strengthened her faith during this hard time."I think it's cool and it's great, and it's cool that everyone is doing it because she loved everyone." As the hundreds of people gathered in the church to say their final goodbyes, her sister says she'll miss seeing her sister play basketball, play the piano and play her favorite ukulele.
"So we had a joke, whenever we had something that we were good at, like my sister Mary was making ice cream, and Lydia was making bread, so whenever it was something we were good at we would say no no don't touch it, because we knew she would excel at it."A family friend tells me one of grace's siblings is still recovering from injuries sustained in the crash. Friends tell me they will continue to wear the sneakers, even after grace is laid to rest.
- Family, friends remember 7 children killed in tragic accident nine years ago today
- Mother killed in hit and run remembered by family and friends
- Family and friends remember victim killed in home invasion
- Friends and Family Remember the Life of Christian Aguilar
- Family And Friends Remember Marine Officer
- Friends and family paint 34th Street wall to remember Baby Paisley
- Teen Killed in Hunting Accident
- Friends and Family of 1st Grader Killed on I-75 Speak Out
- Family Reacts to Loss of 12 yr old Boy Killed in Hunting Accident
- Family mourns US army vet killed in car accident on Christmas Day