Newly renovated Gainesville Health and Fitness Women's Center opens
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- The fitness industry is growing and a Gainesville gym is following that trend. The Gainesville Health and Women's Center is ready to impact the community
In the 1980's the Gainesville Health and Women's Center opened in Thornebrook Village. Fast forward nearly 35 years, and the gym has a new look and will offer new workouts.
Debbie Lee teaches classes and is the Director of Marketing for Gainesville Health and Fitness. She says, “I’ve been here since 1984 when we first opened and of course the transition is tremendous. Keeping up with the latest and the greatest the design of this place is nothing like I’ve ever expected, it's stunning."
The million dollar renovation, completed in just thirty days, offers new workout routines like StudioQ, a large Queenax system, which is like a jungle gym for adults.
"We have developed and designed classes in that space that are really revolutionary you won't find anywhere else,” Lee said.
Working out can be done outside of a gym and on your own, but the sense of community keeps bringing women back to this location.
Debbie explained, “Why here? Why the women's club? I think I can sum it up really easily saying we come to work everyday to figure out how to make women stronger."
The gym offers group training classes like yoga and Zumba that allow women to exercise together.
"But when you're in a group and you're in a community of people they know when you're not here and so they're able to provide that motivation to just keep you coming back like one more time,” Lee told us.
The new facility opens November 1st. Members can join for $13 a week.
- Humane Society Opens Newly Renovated Center
- Your Health: Women's Wellness In The New Year
- Women's Health Handbook Part 1: What to expect in your 20's
- Women's Health Handbook Part 3: Tips for the 40's
- Jeremy Foley's career as UF's Athletic Director comes to an end
- Smoking ban at public parks in Gainesville
- Women's Health Handbook P2: The 30's
- Your Fitness: March Madness workout
- Women's Health Handbook Part 4: Tips for the 50's
- Free health clinic in Gainesville celebrates grand opening