Last day to vote in city elections
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Tuesday was the last day to vote in the local elections. There were three City Commission seats up for grabs in Gainesville.
Jenn Powell and Helen Warren were up for the At-Large seat. Perry Clawson, Sheryl Eddie, and Harvey Ward Jr. were in the race for District 2. For District 3, it was Craig Carter versus David Arreola.
Incumbent Craig Carter said they have their differences. "There's obviously a large age gap, I mean I think he just turned 26, I'm 56. I have a lot of experience in business. I've ran businesses almost my whole life," he said.
Arreola said he is fit for the job. "I was born and raised here in Gainesville, I went to Buchholz High School before I went to get my MBA. I have a lifetime of experience in this community," he said.
Arreola said his priority is to decrease high rise development. "I think the biggest difference between this election is whether we're going to follow suit with big time big money politics or whether we're going to stick with the grassroots people powered campaigns."
Carter said he wants to stay in office so he can continue his efforts to make the city a place for the people. "If you want to open a business here you can, it's real easy. If you want to start a family here, it'll be a great place to do that and if you want to go to school here and continue your life we want you to be welcome, no matter where you came from," he said.
According to the Supervisor of Elections Kim Barton , this election had a high voter turnout, with more than 2,000 people early voting. "We had more voters vote early this year than in 2015, so that was a great start. We also had an increasing vote-by-mail ballot," Barton said.
Polls remained open until 7. For a list of precincts, visit www.votealachua.com.
- Supervisor of Elections addresses fear of early voting fraud
- District 4 City Commission candidate Jim Konish files complaint against Adrian Hayes-Santos
- Early voting begins in Florida
- Gainesville group resisting electoral votes for Trump's presidency
- Dispute between former candidates and Supervisor of Elections
- Last Day to Register to Vote
- Warren Defeats Orlando by 127 Votes in Gainesville City Commission Runoff
- New Development in Northwest Gainesville? City Commission Plans To Vote Tonight
- Early Voting For Gainesville City Commission
- City Commission Votes to Approve Biomass Settlement, Will Hold Public Meeting in January