Five Marion County Sheriff's Deputies Suspended
MARION COUNTY, Fla. -- Five Sheriff's Deputies have been suspended without pay for using excessive force during the drug trafficking bust last week in Ocala.
A video of the incident shows deputies used excessive force to arrest the suspects.
Thursday morning, the Marion County Sheriff's Office assisted in the arrests of five people in connection to serious drug trafficking charges in Ocala.
Deputies arrested 43-year-old Derrick Price, 36-year-old Eddie Perez, along with 42-year-old KC Starks, his brother 35-year-old Marcus Starks, and 33-year-old Nicole Radank.
They also seized several high-end cars, $39,000 in cash, tens of thousands of dollars in illegal drugs, and more from Price's home and four other homes in the Marion Oaks area.
MCSO Spokesperson James Pogue says a surveillance video was obtained and reviewed by the Officers' supervisors. Pogue stated, "Once it was viewed, it was found that, in our opinion, that the use of force was excessive."
Marion County Sheriff's officials would not comment Monday on which suspect the force was used on or the content of the video - but the Sheriff decided to take action by suspending five deputies: Jesse Terrell, Trevor Fitzgerald, James Amidei, Cody Hoppel, and Adam Crawford are all suspended without pay.
The investigation has been handed over to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.
Pogue stated, "They can investigate it without bias and they can confer with the State Attorney's Office as to what course of action needs to be taken"
TV20 was not able to obtain a copy of the video showing excessive force, because FDLE's investigation into the use of force by the deputies is still ongoing.
- Judge Rules MCSO Deputies Used Excessive Force on Joshua Salvato, Grants Wrongful Death Award
- Marion County deputies bust drug trafficking operation
- Marion County Sheriff's Office Granted More Money for Cars
- Alachua County Sheriff's Deputies Create Workout for Fallen Officers
- Levy County Deputies Make Second Meth Bust in Two Days
- Multi-State Retail Theft Crime Ring Bust in Marion County
- Armed Woman Robs Bank in Marion County
- Deputies Will Sport New Body Cameras in Marion County
- ASO Captain Keith Vermillion Suspended
- Marion County Sheriff's Citizens Academy Back After 12 Years