Miami Beach Teen Dies Shortly After Being Tasered by Police
A vigil was held Thursday night for an 18-year-old man who died after being tasered by a Miami Beach Police officer.
Officials are saying little about the case, but the teen's family is speaking out.
The vigil for Israel Hernandez-Llach was held at Collins Avenue and 71st Street in Miami Beach.
"I just think he's still here because I used to hang out with him every day," said Raphael Lynch, a friend of Hernandez-Llach.
Police say Hernandez-Llach ran away from them after he was caught spraying graffiti on a building at 71st and Collins Tuesday morning.
Officers told Hernandez-Llach to stop running and when he did no comply, he was tasered, according to the a police report. Hernandez-Llach began showing sings of medical distress soon thereafter, and was pronounced dead at Mount Sinai Hospital a short time later.
An autopsy report is still pending, but his family said he didn't have any health conditions that could be blamed for his sudden death.
The Miami Beach Police Department issued a statement, saying in part: "This incident is an open and ongoing investigation. The City of Miami Beach would like to extend their condolences to the family of Israel Hernandez."
"We don't want an investigation of the police department conducted by the police department," said Jose Javier Rodriguez, an attorney representing the Hernandez family. "We don't know exactly what happened. We don't if protocols were followed. There's a lot of unanswered questions."
Rodriguez said he hadn't seen evidence showing him what happened leading up to Hernandez-Llach's death.
"All we know is that an unarmed teenager named Israel Hernandez-Llach died and the family would like to know why," he said.
Authorities are waiting for autopsy and toxicology reports to determine the cause of death.
- Florida Teen Graffiti Artist's Death Caused By Taser: Family Wants Justice
- Two Men Arrested by Miami-Dade Police for Running Illegal Slaughterhouse
- Man Dies After Participating in Unusual Eating Contest
- Teen Dies After Getting Caught in Rough Surf
- Homicide Suspect Arrested After Police Chase
- Shootout at Daytona Beach McDonald's
- Child Possibly Bitten by Shark in Panama City Beach
- Woman Drives into Daytona Beach Ocean
- Marion County Teen Dies In Crash On Graduation Day
- Two Killed in Miami Dade Garage Collaspe