Mother Drives Three Children Into Ocean
A dramatic rescue along Daytona Beach Tuesday is making national headlines.
South Carolina mother and her three children ended up in the ocean inside their mini-van.
Now investigators are looking into the possibility that 31-year-old Ebony Wilkerson intentionally drove the family into the ocean.
Lifeguards and beachgoers helped in the rescue as the 3 children, ages 10, 9 and 3, were pulled from the van.
Now, the mother's mental state is being evaluated under the Baker Act.
Police say Wilkerson's sister called police Tuesday, concerned about her sibling's mental state. When officers later stopped Wilkerson's black Honda Odyssey, she expressed fear that her husband would be coming to Florida to harm her and her children.
Officials also say the officers reported she seemed lucid and the children appeared to be safe.
The children are still hospitalized and being questioned by DCF investigators who want to know of any instances of abuse or neglect in the family.
- Woman Drives into Daytona Beach Ocean
- Pregnant Mother Who Drove Van Of Kids Into Ocean Now Accused Of Punching Self In Stomach While Jailed
- Daughter And Father Save Three Teens From Burning Car
- Shootout at Daytona Beach McDonald's
- Cruise Ship Stranded in Indian Ocean
- Mother Charged with Fatal Stabbing of Son
- Man Attacks Woman In McDonald's Drive-Through
- 5-Year-Old Sees Mother Get Shot By Father
- Romney Takes Campaign Detour to Daytona
- NASCAR Postpones Daytona 500 for First Time Ever