Woman Drives into Daytona Beach Ocean
Published March 6th, 2014
DAYTONA BEACH- An investigation is underway after a South Carolina mother and her three kids ended up in the ocean, inside their mini-van.
Investigators are looking into the possibility that the 31-year-old Ebony Wilkerson intentionally drove the family into the ocean.
One witness who was on the scene said it appeared that way.
"I thought this woman is going to drive into the ocean, and sure enough she turned head first, I mean just straight into the ocean," said Amy Assur.
Lifeguards and beach goers helped in the rescue as the three children were pulled from the van.
Now the mother's mental state is now being evaluated under the baker act.
Police say Wilkerson's sister called police Tuesday concerned about her sibling's mental state.
When officers later stopped Wilkerson's black Honda Odyssey. she expressed fear that her husband would be coming to Florida to harm her and her children.
The children are still hospitalized and being questioned by DCF investigators who want to know of any instances of abuse or neglect in the family.
- Pregnant Mother Who Drove Van Of Kids Into Ocean Now Accused Of Punching Self In Stomach While Jailed
- Shootout at Daytona Beach McDonald's
- Mother Drives Three Children Into Ocean
- Man Attacks Woman In McDonald's Drive-Through
- Miami Beach Teen Dies Shortly After Being Tasered by Police
- Child Possibly Bitten by Shark in Panama City Beach
- Cruise Ship Stranded in Indian Ocean
- Romney Takes Campaign Detour to Daytona
- NASCAR Postpones Daytona 500 for First Time Ever
- Top Beaches