Haitians in Custody after Failed Smuggling Attempt
Published April 17th, 2014
HIGHLAND BEACH, Fla -- Twelve illegal Haitian migrants were taken into custody after a failed smuggling attempt at Highland Beach early Tuesday morning.
Investigators said they believe the migrants' boat arrived near South Ocean Blvd. at about 4 am, but it took a few hours before a Highland Beach Police Officer spotted a few of them.
A seven month pregnant woman was among the migrants.
She was taken to the hospital to be evaluated and will be sent to border patrol once she's cleared, according to officials.
Authorities said they believe the migrants are linked to a smuggling operation based in the Bahamas.
- Jail Drug Smuggle Attempt Fails
- 9 Migrants Arrested Near Tequesta
- Miami Beach Teen Dies Shortly After Being Tasered by Police
- 23 Suspects Taken Into Custody And Charged In Connection To Organized Retail Theft
- UF on Alert After Attempted Sexual Assault
- Two Killed in Miami Dade Garage Collaspe
- Vandals Trash More Than 40 Cars in Miami
- Prehistoric village found in downtown Miami
- First Lady Visits Miami To Promote Fitness
- Miami Woman Charged In Connection To Toddler Daycare Drowning Death