"Starbugs" Using Insects in a Popular Drink
If you enjoy Starbucks Strawberry frappuccinos then listen up.
Starbucks is now listing cochineal in their ingredients, which gives the Frappuccino its reddish hue.
What is cochineal? It is crushed up bugs.
The Seattle-based coffee chain is moving away from using artificial ingredients in their products, and swapped out the artificial coloring that was in their Strawberries and Cream Frappuccino with cochineal.
Although approved by the FDA as safe, ABC News reported that cochineal can cause allergic reactions and asthma in some people.
- Starbucks to Stop Using 'Crushed Bug' Dye
- Disney Starbucks
- Colorado Voters to Decide on Recreational Marijuana Use
- Poll: Millionaire Tax Popular, Spending Cuts Too
- Obama Increases Popularity with Women
- Popular Pastor Assaulted
- Popular Baby Seat Warning
- FDA Approves "Plan B" for OTC Sale to Women Ages 15 and Up
- Super-Sized Soft Drinks Raise Health Concerns
- Popular Antibiotic Could Be A Health Risk