Man Is Arrested for Cooking Cats
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (AP) - In a case that has shocked even investigators, a California man is in jail for allegedly cooking and eating cats.
Jason Louis Wilmert is being held in the Kern County Jail on charges alleging animal cruelty and using a pet or domesticated animal for food. Both charges are misdemeanors.
Neighbors called sheriff's deputies when they heard cats wailing and screeching at the 36-year-old's house in the Bakersfield suburb of Oildale.
Sheriff's spokesman Ray Pruitt says he has "never seen anything like this."
Pruitt says investigators found evidence that led them to believe "he had the intent to use a cat for food," but he couldn't comment directly on the evidence.
Wilmert is scheduled for arraignment on Friday.
- Chili Cook Off
- Ex-Tarzan Actor Arrested; Big Cats Taken from Home
- Police: Man Kills Girlfriend's Cat, Threatens To Kill Woman
- Man's Life Saved by his Pet Cat
- 517 cats siezed at the Haven Acres Cat Sanctuary
- Cooking In Jail
- Cooking Fire Badly Damages Gainesville Apartment
- Neighbors Cooking Meth In Backyard
- O'Leno Chili Cook-Off
- Suwannee Man Arrested After Allegedly Killing Two Men