Oscar Winners for 2012
There's plenty of buzz this morning about the to "The Artist" winning Best Picture. "The Artist" a very, very quiet movie made a loud racket Sunday night. It won 5 Academy Awards, including top prize, Best Picture. The black and white film is the first silent winner since 1929. The Film earned the Director an Oscar, as well as, Jean Dujardin for Best Actor.
Meryl Streep joins an elite group of actors, earning her third oscar. Perennial favorite, Meryl Streep, took home Best Actress for her portrayal of "Iron Lady" Margaret Thatcher. This is the first time Streep's won an Oscar in 29 years despite 17 nominations.
Oscar drama began in Hollywood well before the Academy Awards even started, when Sacha Baron Cohen, in character as "The Dictator," dumped what he claimed were Kim Jong Il's ashes all over Ryan Seacrest. Back inside, host Billy Crystal kicked off the show with a tribute to all the film nominees.
There were memorable, and historic moments, as well. 82 year old, Christopher Plummer became the oldest Best Supporting Actor winner in history. As many anticipated, "The Help's" Octavia Spencer won Best Supporting Actress for her portrayal of a headstrong black maid in 1960's Mississippi.
The show, never at a loss to entertain, boasted gravity defying stunts from Cirque Du Soleil, actresses making light of their rear view, a musical interlude from Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianakis and comic relief from Robert Downey Jr.
- Oscar Pistorius sentenced to 6 years in prison for murder
- Oscar Nominee Michael Clarke Duncan has Died
- New Name For The Home Of The Oscars
- Billy Crystal to Host his 9th Oscars
- Fashion Designer Oscar de la Renta Dies at 82
- 'Birdman' takes flight at an Oscars punctuated by politics
- Kansas Says Mega Millions Winner Has Come Forward
- Alleged Mega Millions Winner Says She Lost Ticket
- Winner Downs 68 Dogs in Hot Dog Eating Contest
- Ariz. Lottery Says Winner Claims Half of $588M